Jun 5, 2012

[Phenomenology] Journal #4

1. Dictionary:

(1) Tentative Manifestations:
Due to the assumption that "the intentional 'findings' of phenomenological research are de-centered as multiple, partial and endless deferred, a post-intentional phenomenological research approach resist a stable intentionality, yet still embrace intentionality as ways of being that run through human relations with the world and another" (Vagle, 2010). Tentative Manifestations (the grey area) "is not trying to center the meaning", instead, it "signifies a post-intentional move away from essence and toward contexts, situations, and the partial...The line can be read as flexible, malleable, and although not visible here, permeable"(2010). These grey areas shows "folds", "ruptures", and "flight of the line"of the meanings during our (post-) bridling process.

(2) Pre-understanding:
"Pre-understanding is convey as a an unavailable and necessary precondition for being able to gain knowledge" by philosophers such as Husserl, Heidegger, and Gadamer" (Dalhberg, Dalhberg & Nyström, 2008, p.139). Gadamer preferred to call it "prejudice". he claimed that"without pre-understanding, there can be no understanding" (Dalhberg, Dalhberg & Nyström, 2008, p.138). However, pre-understing can also hinder understanding. Therefore, "the primary hermeneutics task is to 'be aware of one's own bias, so that the text can represent itself in all its otherness and thus assert it's own truth against one's own fore-meanings" (Gadamer, 1995, p. 269, cited by Dalhberg, Dalhberg & Nyström, 2008, p.138).  It can be also linked to Hesserl's theory of intentionality that we should understand meanings beyond our nature attitude. 


2. Bridling:


Smart phone addiction


When I was a poor grad student and couldn't afford any fancy phone, I couldn't understand that why people need to buy an expensive phone and sign up an expensive data plan. For me, these functions were all extra. We could easily find these functions in other devices, such as GPS and my personal computer. My old concept was: Phone is just a phone. It is only used for communication. In addition, I was enjoying the privacy and silent moment that no one can interrupt me unless he/she has my phone number. I even rarely texted.


However, when my husband send me a smartphone as a birthday gift. I found my life have totally changed by the smartphone. I couldn't stop using it when I have every short free moment. I am constantly checking out my emails, facebooking, messaging and angry-birding. Yes, I think I become one of the people who addicted to the smartphone. When I am doing something else, I keep my phone in the place where my eyes can find it. I look for it every few seconds. Otherwise I will feel extraordinarily anxious. 


One of the reasons I addicted to it might be because of it's conveniency. Or I can further explain this conveniency as convenience from mobility. True, it is small. It doesn't need to plug. I can carry it anywhere and enjoy all of its convenience all the time even when I'm in the middle of doing something else. The multitasking action makes me believe that I'm more efficient than the time I didn't own a smartphone


Another reason that I believe I am addicted to the smartphone might be because I'm anxious about losing connection to the world. These unconnected moments might be due to my fear of missing any real-time information (e.g., emails, news, tweets, massage). These unconnected moments also comes when I am losing connection with other people in another virtual space, such as the Facebook. 


The final reason that I think I'm addicted is that I cannot tolerate myself to have a blank moment anymore. My moments are filled with numerous trivial messages and information. Sadly to say, these trivia rarely becomes knowledge, which nurture my spirit. Instead, they gone with the wind. Things I originally considered  as important and urgent usually disappeared or be discarded soon after I received them.

No comments:

Post a Comment